I have certain recipes in my arsenal that are very dear to me, not only because they’re widely loved by friends and family, but because they were favourites of special people in my life who have passed away.
Granddad’s Currant Scones, Nana’s trifle, and 5 Star bars which I’m thinking of renaming after a friend who recently passed and who requested these every time I saw him. His passing was sudden and unexpected and we’re still trying to make sense of a senseless death, and to attain some closure that I’m not sure will come easily.
These Black and White bars are an homage to my dear friend – they’re not quite the 5 Star bars that he loved (I couldn’t bring myself to make the recipe as he loved it just yet), so instead I changed things up and used Oreo crumbs instead of graham crumbs, and white chocolate instead of milk chocolate. Similar textures, different flavours (something like our lives without him in it.)
This recipe is an oldie but a goodie. Only 5 ingredients, minimal prep time and almost no baking. These are perfect for bake sales and potlucks because you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in 30 minutes or less.
1 14oz can condensed milk (I generally use Eagle Brand)
2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (medium or desiccated)
¼ cup melted butter or margarine
2 cups of white chocolate chips or 4-5 regular-sized white chocolate bars (like Aero)
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Mix condensed milk, Oreo crumbs, coconut and melted butter together, and press into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes – it will look uncooked but that’s fine. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave with a bit of oil (no more than 1 tsp) and stir until smooth. Pour evenly over the Oreo base.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut into bars and serve chilled or at room temperature (be careful when cutting these, it can be a bit challenging if they’re too cold)