The other week, while poking around a little grocery store in my neighbourhood, my husband ran over to me saying he wanted to show me something. Assuming it was something that would make me giggle, I followed him (lo and behold) to the baking aisle where he presented me with Donini’s S’more Snack Mix. “I thought it might be good for your baking…” he said, shyly, as he’s never usually one to volunteer baking ideas (usually it’s more like me asking him whether I should use chocolate chips or Skor bits and him saying “I don’t know honey, you’re the expert” while slowly backing away).
Since I love s’mores, and I was looking for a new baking challenge, I bought the mix – I figured even if it didn’t make it into a recipe we could at least eat it on top of ice cream!
My default when trying new add-ins is my basic Chocolate Chip cookie recipe. The soft, smooth cookie is the perfect backdrop for whatever candy, fruit or nut I have a hankering for. Unfortunately, I’ve made a few too many batches of those cookies lately (work bake sales FTW) so I decided to try making Blondies (non-chocolate brownies) as a chewy, caramelly base for the s’more mix. In the recipe below, I assume you don’t have access to s’more mix, so I’ve measured out the ingredients for s’mores separately.
The original recipe is from Allrecipes: Blonde Brownies I by Sue Bush. These looked to be not so much a fluffy brownie but a rich, really chewy, almost cookie-like bar. Below is the recipe, my changes are in red. (Note that I doubled the recipe to make a 9×13 pan. The original recipe makes a 9×9 pan)
- I cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1-2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Melt butter, set aside to cool off (otherwise it’ll cook the egg when you add it in!)
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Stir the brown sugar into the beaten egg and vanilla and mix well. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add in cooled melted butter, chocolate chips, marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle flaked sea salt on top if you like (I added a bit to bring out the flavours)
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
If I’m honest, I don’t think I’ll bake with the Donini s’mores mix again. The graham crackers in the mix got a little too chewy for my liking, which is why in the recipe I used graham crumbs. The crumbs blend better with the brown sugar and combined with melty marshmallows and chocolate chips….yum!
I’m going to take the s’mores mix blondies into work tomorrow and I’m a little nervous about it – I always worry that I’ll bring something in and it’ll be the one time it doesn’t get eaten up right away. Does anyone who’s reading this have that worry? Has it happened to you?